Department of Diagnostic Sciences: Research
Department faculty are actively involved in research in the areas of oral cancer of transplant patients, viral carcinogenesis, bone healing and regeneration, oral manifestations of systemic disease, tissue engineering, and dental genetics. The following listing provides a synopsis of current and ongoing research pursuits.
Dr. James Guggenheimer:
- Causes and treatment of xerostomia;
- Dental disease and oral care of the organ transplant patient;
- Oral disease in patients with end stage liver disease;
- Risks associated with acetaminophen and opioids in dental patients;
- Sociodemographic characteristics of patients with dental emergencies;
- Medical conditions and medication use in a dental clinic population
Dr. Kurt Summersgill:
Human papillomavirus (HPV) molecular epidemiology and oral cancer
Role: co-investigator in 2004-2005 unfunded research.
Genetic Analysis of Oral Preneoplasia and Carcinoma using Tissue Microarrays
Role: co-investigator in pending (unfunded) research, 2006-2010.