Dr. Beniash’s primary research interest is in the area of biomineralization. He is trying to understand basic mechanisms of mineralized tissue formation and more specifically how the protein assemblies control mineral formation and organization at the nanoscale. He applies this knowledge to the design of bioinspired hierarchical nanocomposites for biomedical and other technological applications.
Dr. Beniash's research focuses on:
- Formation of interfaces between mineralized tissues (dentino-enamel interface)
- Role of biological macromolecules in the formation of mineralized tissue
- Role of supramolecular protein assemblies in forming
- Role of acidic macromolecules in collagen mineralization
- Role of the transient amorphous minerals in biomineralization processes