Dr. Satish Kumar currently serves full-time as an assistant professor at the Department of Periodontics and Preventive Dentistry at the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine. Between 2007 and 2012, Dr. Kumar served full-time as an assistant professor of Clinical Dentistry in the Division of Periodontology, Diagnostic Sciences and Dental Hygiene at the Ostrow School of Dentistry of the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. Dr. Kumar’s educational background includes advanced specialty training in periodontology and dental implantology, oral medicine, temporomandibular disorders and orofacial pain. Dr. Kumar directs predoctoral didactic and clinical courses in periodontology. He participates in seminars for periodontology residents and lectures in topics of oral medicine, orofacial pain, evidence based dentistry, oral biology, oral diagnosis, and treatment planning. He supervises clinical care by predoctoral students and residents in the Periodontics Clinic. Dr. Kumar is a certified evidence reviewer by the ADA Center for Evidence-Based Dentistry (EBD) where he continues to serve in the EBD Leaders Network to teach the practice of best available clinical research evidence directly to patient care. He is an invited lecturer and provides continuing education courses for the School of Dental Medicine.
Dr. Kumar serves as one of the elected faculty members in the Dean’s Council (2016-19); dean’s appointed member of the Planning and Budget Committee; and represents the Department of Periodontics in the Predoctoral Curriculum Committee at the School of Dental Medicine (2016-present). Dr. Kumar’s research training includes basic science research to understand oral carcinogenesis; clinical research design and management; and evidence-based medicine and dentistry. Dr. Kumar has published several original articles, reviews, critical summaries and book chapters in his areas of clinical expertise. He serves as a peer-reviewer for academic journals including the Journal of Dental Research and Scientific Reports. Dr. Kumar enjoys nature, music, creative writing, and playing with his two, young boys.
Dr. Kumar is board certified in Periodontology, Oral Medicine and Orofacial Pain. Dr. Kumar participates in care of private patients in the faculty practice at the University Dental Health Services, Inc. (Appointments: 412-648-9100).
Diplomate, American Board of Periodontology
Diplomate, American Board of Oral Medicine
Diplomate, American Board of Orofacial Pain
- American Academy of Periodontology (AAP) Educator Award for Outstanding Teaching And Mentoring In Periodontics – 2017
- AAP Balint Orban Memorial Research Award in Clinical Sciences - 2015
- AAP Foundation’s Scholarship to Institute for Teaching and Learning - 2014
- AAP Foundation’s Educator Scholarship - 2013
- American Academy of Oral Medicine (AAOM) Lester Burket Memorial Award (Clinical Research Category) – 2007
- Charles T. Kean Memorial Award, International Association for Dental Research (IADR), Southeast Asian Division - 2004
- Young Investigator Travel Award, International Association for Dental Research (IADR), Malaysian Section, Southeast Asian Division - 2004