Concurrent Degree (DMD/MPH), Certificate Programs and Early Admission

Dental Public Health Certificate Program and Concurrent Degree (DMD/MPH) 

The Certificate in Dental Public Health program is open to School of Dental Medicine students who exhibit excellent grades and also are motivated in providing and learning about community-based oral health programs /services to underserved populations. Application for this program occurs toward the end of the first-term of dental school. Certificates are completed by the end of the fourth year and are awarded on the student's transcript.

In another program directed toward highly motivated students, the SDM and the Graduate School of Public Health at the University of Pittsburgh have established a collaborative program that allows first professional dental students the opportunity to initiate and complete studies leading to a Master's of Public Health (MPH) degree concurrently while enrolled in the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) program. .

Find more information about the Concurrent Degree and Certificate Programs.


Oral Biology Graduate Program Simultaneous Degree Option

Promising School of Dental Medicine First Professional DMD Program students and residents are encouraged to enter the PhD or MS Programs in Oral Biology. At the present time the PhD and MS programs are independent degrees apart from the First Professional DMD and Advanced Dental Education Residency Programs in the School of Dental Medicine.

Learn more about the Oral Biology Graduate Program Simultaneous Degree Option.


Early Admission

Early admission will be considered for Guaranteed Admissions Program applicants who have:

  • A minimum overall GPA of 3.85 (both science and nonscience)
  • A minimum score of 23 on the DAT (academic average)
  • All pre-requisites complete prior to matriculation and the majority should be complete prior to application

Applicants who wish to be considered for early admission must write a letter of intent that is no more than one single-spaced page. The letter of intent should be sent via e-mail to the Office of Student Affairs.

Learn more about the Guaranteed Admissions Program.