General Application Information
Applicants to The University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine's Advanced Dental Education and Residency Programs may use either the ADEA Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS), Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (MATCH) application, or the self-managed application process. Please refer to the program of interest for specific application procedures.
Those applying to the Dental Anesthesiology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Periodontics, Pediatric Dentistry and Prosthodontics programs must complete both an ADEA PASS and Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program (MATCH) application.
Those applying to the Endodontics or Oral Pathology programs may submit an ADEA PASS application or the self-managed application. Those applying to the General Practice Residency Program may only submit an application through ADEA PASS.
Completed applications (including the non-refundable application fee, letters of recommendation, and all test scores) must be received in the Office of Residency Education by the Department-specified program application deadline date. Application deadline dates vary by program and application deadlines are strictly enforced.
Application Procedures for PASS/MATCH Applications
For program details, deadline dates, and application requirements use the ADEA PASS Search Engine. Further information regarding the PASS/MATCH process may be found by contacting the application services directly.
Application Procedure for Self-Managed Application
Carefully read and follow the instructions so that there will be no delay in the receipt of your application by the School of Dental Medicine Admissions Committee.
Instructions for Submitting Your Complete Application
- Complete and submit the School of Dental Medicine Self-Managed Application.
- Submit your current Curriculum Vitae and a one-page Personal Statement describing your reasons and objectives for undertaking graduate study.
- Include three letters of recommendation (the Dean's recommendation and two other recommendations). Electronic or paper recommendations are accepted. Electronic letters of recommendation must be sent directly to the school by the recommender.
- Pay a non-refundable application fee of $50. This fee is for self-managed applications only. ADEA PASS applications do not require this fee. Online credit card payments and paper checks are accepted. Checks are to be made out to the University of Pittsburgh. PAY NOW
- Request an official score report from the National Board Dental Examinations (Parts I and II). Results are to be submitted directly to the school from the National Board Dental Examinations.
- Submit original or certified/notarized copies of all original-language academic records, mark sheets, and transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Where official, original documents are issued in a language other than English, certified/notarized English translations must be included: Uncertified English translations will not be accepted. Electronic submissions must be sent by the institution.
- If submitting by U.S. mail: Place the application, curriculum vitae, personal statement, academic records and transcripts, letters of recommendation, and the application fee in one envelope. Letters of recommendation must be in envelopes that are sealed by the individual writer of the recommendation. The writer's signature must appear on the back flap of the envelope.
ATTENTION APPLICANTS: Due to COVID-19 it is highly recommended that all self-managed application materials are to be submitted via email to avoid processing delays.
Email or mail completed application materials to Ms. Alycia Maltony:
University of Pittsburgh
School of Dental Medicine
Office of Residency Education
Attention: Ms. Alycia Maltony
Suite 2114 Salk Hall
3501 Terrace Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15261
All materials, including the National Board and TOEFL Scores, must be received in the Office of Residency Education by the application deadline for the respective program.
All application instructions should be followed carefully. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is complete. Incomplete applications will not be processed. All materials submitted for consideration become the property of the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and will not be returned to the applicant for any reason.
Interviews/Selection of Students
Interviews will be granted after the applicant's credentials have been reviewed. Interviews are by invitation only. Candidates selected for an interview will be notified by a representative from the respective program.
Selection Process Criteria
Due to the diverse needs of the individual programs, each specialty program will establish specific criteria for the selection of applicants. The following acceptance criteria must be met by all candidates:
- Academic qualifications that exhibit the potential for success;
- National Board Scores which demonstrate a high level of competency;
- Letters of recommendations; and
- An interview
- All successful applicants must possess a DMD or DDS degree to matriculate into an Advanced Dental Education or Residency Program. Applicants with degrees from dental schools outside of the United States or Canada must meet educational requirements established and evaluated by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to matriculation.
- The Medicare and Medicaid Electronic Health Record (EHR) Incentive Programs provides incentive payments to eligible professionals and eligible hospitals including dental schools, as they adopt, implement, upgrade or demonstrate meaningful use of certified EHR technology. It is expected that if you are an eligible professional (EP) who has received a National Provider Identifier (NPI) will support the School of Dental Medicine in the acquisition of Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Program funds by facilitating your enrollment through Medical Assistance and the Pennsylvania PROMISeTM System while you are enrolled in one of the School of Dental Medicine Advanced Dental Education or Residency Programs. All payments of funds out of these programs will be used to support the SDM's EHR infrastructure and are not part of your compensation