Graduation occurs 4 times a year: April, June, August and December. Dental Residents typically graduate in June, while Oral and Craniofacial Sciences (OCS) graduate students typically graduate in April. Graduation is not an automatic process. You must complete a graduation application before the deadline date listed below. If you do not meet all the requirements for graduation in the term for which you applied, you must submit a new graduation application for a subsequent term.
Pre Doctoral Students and Dental Hygiene Students: Graduation requirements and information for your programs are not listed below. Questions about graduation? Please contact Ms. Tracey Wassel in the Office of Student Affairs for pre doctoral students or Ms. Kathy Horn for dental hygiene students.
Graduation Forms, Deadlines, and Requirements
Fulfilling all of your academic requirements is only part of what is necessary to graduate from the School of Dental Medicine. You must also complete all of the required applications, forms, and sign out process (if applicable). Forms, applications, and required paperwork can be downloaded from this site using the links below. Please read all of these materials carefully to ensure that you are in full compliance with all rules and regulations.
Note: The name you indicate on your graduation application must match exactly as it appears in the University's student information system (PeopleSoft).
|December Graduation||April Graduation||June Graduation||August Graduation|
|Application Deadline:||Sept. 23, 2021||Jan. 31, 2022||April 22, 2022||TBA|
|ETD Deadlines (if applicable):||Draft Deadline:
Dec. 3, 2021
Dec. 15, 2021
April 14, 2022
April 28, 2022
June 10, 2022
June 24, 2022
Aug. 3, 2021
Aug. 17, 2021
For All Graduate Candidates
Electronic Theses and Dissertations (ETD)
- Ask an ETD Specialist Contact Form
- ETD Website
- ETD Approval Form
- **NEW ETD Approval Form - Fillable (Effective March 2020)
- ETD D-Scholarship Submission Instructions
- ETD Format Guidelines
- ETD Patent Form (if applicable)
- Support Contact and Walk-in Hours
- ETD Templates and Tutorials
- Survey of Earned Doctorates Website
- ProQuest ETD Administrator Submission Form
- Thesis/Dissertation Fee Information
- University Library System's ETD Workshops
All Pitt Dental Medicine graduates are invited to participate in the Diploma Ceremony hosted by the School in May. The Office of Student Affairs will notify graduating residents/students of the time, location, and information about the ceremony, as well as regalia.
MS, DMD, MDS, and PhD: Diplomas will be mailed out at no charge approximately 6-8 weeks after the end of your term of graduation. Residents receive their certificate of completion on the last day of their program.
Allow 30 days from the advertised ship date to consider the diploma lost for domestic mail, 90 days for international delivery.
Reordering a Diploma or Certificate
Additional copies of your diploma/certificate may be purchased anytime after graduation. Diplomas/certificates will be in the current style and font and bear the signatures of the current administrators.
- Residency Program Certificate Alumni: Please complete the Resident Certificate Reorder Form and mail a $25 check (made out to the University of Pittsburgh) to the Graduate Programs Administrator, Ms. Alycia Maltony, Suite 2114 Salk Hall, 3501 Terrace Street, Pittsburgh, PA, 15261.
- MDS, Pre Doctoral, Oral and Craniofacial Sciences (OCS) and Hygiene Alumni: Please visit the Office of the University Registrar's website (Graduation/Diplomas Section) for more information.