See How Pitt Dental Medicine Admissions is Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic
DMD Transfer Students
Depending on class availability, the Pitt Dental Medicine Admissions Committee will consider transfer students from other accredited dental programs in the United States who are in good academic and disciplinary standing.
These candidates must meet all expected entrance requirements and may be required to take written and/or practical examinations prior to further consideration. Transfer requests are not considered from schools outside of the United States.
Consideration for transfer status will be given upon receipt of the following materials:
- Application Fee ($75 money-order)
- Letter of intent which sets forth the reason for the transfer request
- Official undergraduate transcripts
- Official dental school transcripts
- Official DAT scores
- Catalogue and course descriptions/syllabi from current dental school
- Letter of recommendation from at least one dental school faculty
- National Dental board Examination results (if applicable)
The University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine receives numerous applications during the application cycle. An applicant who has not received an offer of admission is welcome to reapply during any subsequent application cycle. It is recommended that the applicant upgrade the application in the following ways:
- Submit your application early.
School of Dental Medicine applicants increase in both number and quality yearly. An application received at a late point in the cycle will not be given the same consideration as an application received at an earlier date.
- Continue to improve the academic portion of your application by enrolling in high-level science courses to improve understanding of the material and GPA. If applicant has obtained a degree, consideration should be given to a master's degree in basic science area or a full-time one year post-baccalaureate program in the basic sciences.
- Demonstrate continuing motivation by extending commitment to volunteering and shadowing within the profession.
- Retake the DAT after sufficient preparation.
All non-admitted applicant files are destroyed at the end of each cycle.
Applicants must reapply through AADSAS, and must include all updated documentation and letters of recommendation.