“The School will be a diverse, welcoming and supportive community widely recognized for excellence and leadership in the improvement of oral health.”
The Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice (ODISJ) was established in July, 2020, to help improve diversity and inclusion in the University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and improve our culture to welcome everyone regardless of their ethnicities, cultures, abilities, socio-economic backgrounds, genders, religious affiliations, gender identities and expressions, and sexual orientations.
ODISJ is deeply committed to accepting and celebrating differences, eliminating discrimination and promoting social justice.
Some of the responsibilities of the Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Social Justice are:
- Develop strategic initiatives and partnerships to create an inclusive environment for faculty, staff, pre-dental, predoctoral and graduate students at the School of Dental Medicine.
- Combine efforts with Pitt Dental Medicine’s leadership, the Office of Health Sciences Diversity, the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and the Office of the Provost to improve recruitment, retention, development and support of a more diverse environment.
- Coordinate, facilitate and participate in the development and implementation of nondiscrimination and diversity guidelines.
- Coordinate and facilitate curriculum changes, and diversity and inclusion professional training for dental school community members.
- Organize, collaborate with pre-dental and dental clubs and groups, and participate in a variety of cultural celebrations.